The Contract Deputy program is open to subdivisions, groups of subdivisions or municipal districts who contract with the agency to provide one or more deputies for patrol assignments to a particular area for law enforcement services. The Contract Deputy program provides high visibility which helps in reducing crimes in the area. The Contract Deputy program is known for rapid response to calls for service since the deputies are assigned specifically to an area. The contract deputy program is a way for neighborhoods and subdivisions that want or need additional patrol services to supplement existing law enforcement services. The Contract Deputy program works under the philosophy of community oriented policing where the same deputy(s) works the area and becomes familiar with the residents who live there, their patterns and more so about being aware of situations that out of the ordinary so deputies can respond accordingly. Beside regular patrol duties and traffic enforcement, the Contract Deputy program provides vacation and special watches for residents who may be out of town or have a particular problem that needs to be addressed. These watches are sent to the deputies so they are aware the residents are not home and can make periodic checks on residences while homeowners are away.
The Contract Deputy works in conjunction with a security coordinator/director who is usually a board member of the subdivision who acts as a liaison between the County and the contract. The security coordinator and the Deputy work together by sharing information to help determine the needs of the contract.
The Contract Deputy Program is overseen by Harris County. Contracts are based on coverage options of 70, 80 or 100% coverage with the cost of the program split between Harris County and the contracting entity. For example, if a contract chooses a 70/30 contract, the contract will pay 70% while Harris County will pick up the remaining 30% balance. The Deputy will spend 70% of their daily time assigned to the contract with the remainder spent as needed for operations and routing duties such as reports and paperwork. If your area is interested in more information regarding the contract deputy program or would like a demonstration to your group, please contact the Patrol Captain at 713 697 3600 M-F, 8a-4p.